Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Visitor 129

I am surprised to see how many people have visited my page during the last ten days. One hundred twenty nine visitors is a lot of people, isn't it? Well, the truth is, I cannot really believe this number. So what happened there? I have my theories...

To start with, I really didn't want my first visitor to think he was the first visitor, so I set-up my counter to start from 20.

Then I started doing experiments with my counter, and discovered that every time I refreshed my page, the counter increased by one. So suddenly, without too much effort, I had already 30 visits.

What I didn't think about then, was that every time I published an article, looked at the page, corrected something, and looked at the page again, my counter was increasing as well. So after two or three articles, my page had suddenly 50 visits.

However, my worst error was about to come. A couple of days later, just after my counter reached 78 (which probably meant 28 real visits), I asked my colleague Tan whether he had already checked my Blog. We never talk seriously, so he said he wasn't willing to read that crap, but that if I wanted, he could forward the address to the whole company. Next morning, when I come to the office, I receive an email saying: "Wow, incredible! You have 101 visitors!". Of course, none of them was real. It had been just him refreshing my page during his lunch time.

Since then I have tried not to look at my page very often, hoping that one day the counter actually reflects how many people come to my site. In any case it's good to see that at least some of you are contributing to make this a "popular" blog. And if you really want to know how many people have come here, just divide by two..!

No comments: