Friday, November 04, 2005

Theoretically able to drive

Today I woke up unusually early and decided to take the risk. Out of the 20 sample tests I had filled-in during the last two or three weeks, I had only passed one of them. But somehow I felt I had to do it, so I showered, turned on my mp3 player and took the subway to the Dekra Prüfungstelle. In the way I started looking at some of the material I had used for my study and soon realized how many questions I was still not able to answer. Fortunately enough, Thievery Corporation was there to whisper tribal beats and recomforting notes to my ears…

After 112 mouse clicks, 28 right questions and 2 wrong ones (usually this would sound like an amazing score, but let me remind you that 4 wrong questions are enough to fail the test), I got a piece of paper confirming that I can answer enough questions by heart (and some other with common sense), and that I am ready to take the practical test.

When I left the test administration office (if you know a better translation for Prüfungstelle, let me know), a big smile was drawn on my face. I wanted to call everyone and say “I made it!”, but it was nine in the morning and most of the people who would care about were probably sleeping. So I just turned on Thievery Corporation again, looked at the traffic, waited on the sidewalk until the green man flashed, crossed the street through the crosswalk, and promised myself not to let my smile fade away for the rest of the day…

No comments: