Monday, December 22, 2008

Back to Barranquilla

Barranquilla is a remarkable city. Populated by 1.5 million inhabitants, it´s one of those places you cannot forget, even if you try to. I have been trying to escape from it all of my life, but in spite of my efforts, I keep coming back, year after year, hoping to renew the little costeño inside me.

When I think of my hometown, I cannot really focus on one single thing. Its more like the combination of things that make it special to me. Warm weather & fresh breeze. Hot dogs covered with mountains of papitas. Loud people. Colorful Christmas lights. The cheapest cable TV in the world. Red brick buildings with modern designs. Packed streets. Ceiling fans. Green parks where nobody walks. Lots of fast food stands. The feeling you are never alone, even if you try to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man, I miss being there this year...