Wednesday, May 25, 2005

One week later

Keeping a blog up to date is a pretty complicated thing. What should I write now? Should I get serious? Will they realize I am out of ideas? Will they stop talking to me if I say what I am really thinking?

I guess things would be easier if I had a more interesting life. Then I could write things like "Yesterday Bono called me and asked me if I could replace Larry in his next concert, (...)" or even tell how good it feels to re-enter our atmosphere after spending some weeks floating and eating canned food in outer space. Yeah, those would be good things to write...

But if that was the case, why would I bother and sit everyday in front of my laptop and write things that hardly anyone reads? Perhaps we all live equivalent lives, sometimes intense through our actions, sometimes only through our thinking. I doubt Einstein would have come to his relativity theory if he had decided to commit himself to hedonism and take advantage of his hairdo to become an international rock star. Whether he would have made it, well, I'll leave that one to you. But if he did, he would have then abandoned his life as a prolific thinker to become another mundane being, whose only concerns are drinking, traveling and being loved by the media. His ideas would have faded, but his actions would have prevailed, and thousands of people would still remember how he ordered 10.000 pizzas for his whole audience as he performed one of his greatest songs.

Which life would have been more interesting? That's hard to say. In any case, it is just an extreme example. Most of us don't debate ourselves between world-class scientists and mega-popular rock stars. Our range of choices are narrower, but still the theory applies: thinking and doing are just two states of this reality called living...

But just in case I am wrong, I should better answer Bono's call...

No comments: