Thursday, September 01, 2005

Bilingual blogging

For those of you who have never heard of Univision, I think it's time for you to believe in God and His great mercy. I could just stop blogging here and let you drown in your ignorance, but since I have nothing else to do (I just read the last pages of one of my favorite books ever, Endymion), I will elaborate a little bit on my biblical statement.

Basically, Univision is the largest Spanish-language television network in the United States. According to Wikipedia, this TV channel is credited with turning what used to be three separate markets (Puerto Ricans in the eastern United States, Cuban-Americans in south Florida, and Mexican-Americans in the southwest) into what advertisers now consider a single national Hispanic market.

What Wikipedia doesn't tell you is, of course, that there's probably nothing worst than watching an open-shirted Cuban appearing on a TV show, starting a sentence in Spanish and finishing it in English, while being violently hit by his Puelto Lican fiancee, who just found out he was sleeping with her own sister, who not only lacks a couple of teeth and is wearing a leopard-skin sweatshirt -making her extremely unattractive-, but her strong Peruvian accent makes it hard to believe that we are talking here about real sisters. The unilateral massacre continues for at least a couple of minutes, until Cristina Saralegui, the succesful Cuban tv host who is supposed to be an example for all Hispanics in the US, orders her guards to stop the fight. After an ET-fashion finger movement and a close-up to her bubble-gum chewing mouth, the scene is cut to let some commercials show you the advantages of sending money to you country through Western Union.

Although the word doesn't really exist, "bilingualism" is a disgrace when it comes to see how some people, unable to speak even their own language, invade a foreign country and expect other people to respect them for what they are, which obviously doesn't come that good through their rather poor vocabulary, many times polluted by words that don't even exist in Esperanto.

As sad as it sounds, it seems as if my blog has become another victim of bilingualism. I might not wear a huge golden bling around my neck, but after all I still have the need of speaking my own language, to keep informed my parents about some of the things I do and to simply say whatever comes out of my mind. An "eche, nojoda" is simply untranslatable... :)

No comments: